We already knew Grand Theft Auto V was a gaming powerhouse, but now Guinness Book of World Records has confirmed it.
The record-keeping publication confirmed Tuesday that the game had broken seven records, including the record for fastest-selling video game franchise and fastest-selling entertainment franchise. Take-Two Interactive, which owns Rockstar Games, revealed that the game sold $800 million in its first day and reached the $1 billion mark in three days.
Below is a list of the seven records now officially held by Grand Theft Auto V:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
“Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA V has proved, and how exciting that it’s taken on the might of Hollywood and won,” said Craig Glenday, the editor in chief of Guinness Book of World Records. “GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we’re thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books.”